Technology is all about making your life easier. You look around and find countless gadgets which have changed your life magically. Another addition to these life-changing products is “pressure washer”. A pressure washer is a device which uses the electric or gas power to turn the motor which in return pumps out the water at very high pressure. This is used for effortless cleaning within no time. These pressure washers have reduced the burden of cleaning and are becoming very popular worldwide. They cut out the grease, dirt and all types of stains in a very quick way. So if you are planning to buy a pressure washer in the USA, UK, and Canada we are here for your guidance.
Before you select any pressure washer to buy, look out for these features:
Here power refers to the capacity of the motor to pump the water. It relates to the momentum and velocity of the water. Pressure washers show the power in the following units:
- Pounds per square inch (PSI)
- Gallons per minute (GPM)
- Cleaning Units (CU)
It is easier to get the idea about the power of any pressure washer which has mentioned power in Cleaning Units. You can choose the pressure washer according to your need. But pressure capacity needs to be deal with caution.
Another important thing to consider before buying a pressure washer is its portability. As it is very frustrating to own a pressure washer which is not easy to move, you should consider the weight and mobility of pressure washer. Nowadays, most of these pressure washers come with wheels which make it easier to move.
Pressure washers come with detergent tanks to enhance washing and cleaning capacities. It is always better if there are more than one tanks. In this way, you can use different detergents and solutions for better cleaning experience. So before buying any pressure washer look for its detergent tanks. It is required to check for the size and carrying capacity of these tanks to match with your needs.
Safety Lock Switch:
Nowadays brands are coming forward with pressure washers having safety lock switch. These pressure washers are accompanied with “total stop system”, in this way when you are not using trigger then its safety function automatically switches off the system. This feature not only saves water but also prolong the motor’s life. Thus while looking for a perfect pressure washer, always prefer the one with safety lock system.
One of the most important parts of a pressure washer is its extension hose because it is going to determine the limit of your cleaning area along with power cord length. You cannot overlook the length of its hose. There are pressure washers with a range of medium to the long length of the extension hose. You should consider one which is having the hose at least long enough to reach the far side of the wall or under the vehicle. So choose wisely and look for the pressure washer having extension hose according to your requirement.
Quick Connect Spray Nozzles:
Good pressure washers come with a range of quick-connect spray tips. These tips are used to attach with a pressure washer to change its angle according to the conditions and requirements of cleaning. Mostly there are spray tips in the following range:
Ø Low pressure:
This is applied when you are using water with detergent or other solution. Low pressure allows the effective mixing of detergent and water to give an enhanced cleaning experience.
Ø 40⁰ angle
This angles decrease water pressure and is mostly used for soft surfaces that can be easily damaged.
Ø 25⁰ angle
This is safe and better cleaning option. It should be used for general everyday tasks.
Ø 15⁰ angle
This angle increases the pressure of water hence gives more cleaning. It should be used for heavy-duty cleaning functions.
Ø 0⁰ angle
This pushes the water in a straight beam and with the greatest pressure. It is mostly used for the toughest cleaning jobs but caution is required to operate your pressure washer at this angle. It can be very dangerous so it is better to avoid it for household tasks unless you are pro.
There is also an all in one nozzle which comes with some models. This all in one nozzle is having all the angle options in one nozzle and you just need to turn it to change its settings. Although all in one nozzle is more convenient to work with it all depends on you whether you prefer an all in one nozzle or quick-connect spray nozzles, so choose accordingly as there is not much difference in their working.
Power Cord Length:
Don’t forget to consider the length of the power cord of the pressure washer as it is going to play a very vital role. It should be long enough that you can reach your lawn or main gate. Although extension wires are available it can be a little annoying so the safest and best option is to choose a pressure washer which is having longer power cord as it can limit your cleaning area.
Next, we will explain two main types of pressure washers that are available in the market for household use to make it more clear to you.
When choosing a pressure washer, you will want to consider the different types of nozzles that are available. There are nozzles for different types of cleaning jobs, so you will want to make sure that you choose a pressure washer that has the right nozzle for the job you need to do.
The first thing you need to consider when choosing a pressure washer is the flow rate. The flow rate is the amount of water that the pressure washer can output in a certain amount of time. The higher the flow rate, the more powerful the pressure washer will be.
Another thing you need to consider is the water consumption of the pressure washer. The water consumption is the amount of water that the pressure washer will use in a certain amount of time. The higher the water consumption, the more water the pressure washer will use.
Another thing to consider when choosing a pressure washer is durability. You will want to make sure that the pressure washer you choose is durable enough to withstand the job you need it to do. Look for a pressure washer that is made from high-quality materials and that is built to last. Pressure washers can be expensive, so you will want to make sure that you choose one that will last.
Finally, you will want to consider the different types of cleaning systems that are available. There are pressure washers that come with different types of cleaning systems, You’ll want to choose a system that is best suited for your needs. For example, if you’re looking for a powerful clean, you’ll want to choose a system with a high PSI.
Automatic Throttle Control
The pressure washer unit features an automatic throttle control that makes it easy to operate. You can set it to the pressure level you want and the unit will automatically maintain that pressure. This is a great feature that allows you to focus on washing without having to constantly adjust the pressure.
Electric Powered Pressure Washer
These are the best option for general housekeeping. As the name suggests, they use electricity to run. Electric-powered pressure washers are easy to use and most suited for small jobs in the United States of America and all western countries. They are also comparatively lightweight and don’t make much noise. It is convenient to start or stop these pressure washers. One the other hand these take much longer time for cleaning. The length of your hose and power cord will determine the limit of the cleaning area.
GAS Powered Pressure Washer
These pressure washers use natural fuel for power. Gas-powered pressure washers are generally more powerful and give greater pressure of water. These pressure washers are better for tough cleaning. When compared with electric ones, gas-powered pressure washers are heavier and also noisier. These pressure washers also require high maintenance.
Electric vs. Petrol Pressure Washer
- An electric pressure washer is powered by electricity, while a petrol pressure washer is powered by petrol.
- Electric pressure washers are typically more lightweight and portable than petrol pressure washers.
- Electric pressure washers are typically quieter than petrol pressure washers.
- Electric pressure washers typically have lower pressure than petrol pressure washers.
- Electric pressure washers typically have shorter run times than petrol pressure washers.
Cold vs. Hot Pressure Washers
A cold pressure washer uses only water to clean surfaces, while a hot pressure washer uses water that is heated to temperatures between 150 and 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Hot water pressure washers are more effective at removing grease, oil, and other tough stains than cold water pressure washers.
What size pressure washer would suit my needs?
There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on a number of factors, including the type of surface you will be cleaning, the level of dirt and grime build-up, and the amount of space you have available. However, as a general guide, a pressure washer with a flow rate of 2.5 GPM (gallons per minute) and a pressure of 3000 PSI (pounds per square inch) should be suitable for most needs.
Pressure Washer Size Guide
Surface Type Level of Dirt and Grime Number of Users Recommended PSI Recommended GPM Driveway or Patio Heavy 2-3 3000 2.5 Sidewalks, Decks or Fences Light 1-2 2000 2.0 Cars or Trucks Light 1-2 2000 2.0
Light duty: A light duty pressure washer is typically suitable for cleaning light dirt and grime build-up on surfaces such as patios, decks, and driveways.
Medium duty: A medium duty pressure washer is typically suitable for cleaning moderate dirt and grime build-up on surfaces such as cars and trucks.
Heavy duty: A heavy duty pressure washer is typically suitable for cleaning heavy dirt and grime build-up on surfaces such as buildings and machinery.
Keep in mind that this is only a guide and that you should always consult with a pressure washer dealer or manufacturer to ensure you are using the right size machine for your needs.
Brush motor: A brush motor is a type of direct current (DC) motor that uses carbon brushes instead of windings on the armature to create the electromagnetic field needed to turn the rotor. The carbon brushes conduct electricity to the commutator, which in turn powers the armature.
Universal motor: A universal motor is a type of electric motor that can operate on either alternating current (AC) or direct current (DC) power. Universal motors are frequently used in portable power tools and appliances.
Induction motor: An induction motor is a type of electric motor that uses electromagnetic induction to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. The rotor of an induction motor can be either wound or squirrel cage type.
What can I do with my Pressure Washer?
Here are some great uses for your pressure washer:
- Clean your car or truck: You can use a pressure washer to clean your car or truck quickly and easily. Just be careful not to get too close to the paint or you could damage it.
- Clean your deck or patio: A pressure washer is perfect for getting rid of all the dirt and grime that can build up on your deck or patio over time.
- Clean your siding: If your house is starting to look a little dirty, a pressure washer can help you clean it up quickly. Just be careful not to damage the siding with the high pressure.
- Clean your gutters: If your gutters are full of leaves and debris, a pressure washer can help you clean them out quickly and easily.
- Clean your windows: A pressure washer can help you clean your windows quickly and easily. Just be careful not to get too close to the glass or you could damage it.
- Clean your driveway: A pressure washer is perfect for getting rid of all the dirt, grime, and stains that can build up on your driveway over time.
- Clean your pool: If your pool is starting to look a little dirty, a pressure washer can help you clean it quickly and easily. Just be careful not to damage the pool with the high pressure.
- Clean your boat: If your boat is starting to look a little dirty, a pressure washer can help you clean it quickly and easily
- Clean your RV. If your RV is starting to look a little dirty, a pressure washer can help you clean it quickly and easily.
- Clean your garden: A pressure washer can help you clean your garden quickly and easily. Just be careful not to damage the plants with the high pressure.
- Clean siding and gutters: Remove dirt, grime, and mildew from the outside of your home with ease.
- Clean lawn equipment: Remove dirt and grime from your lawn mower, leaf blower, and other lawn equipment.
- Clean outdoor furniture: Remove dirt, mold, and stains from your outdoor furniture.
- Cleaning grills: Remove dirt, grease, and food build-up from your grill.
- Cleaning windows: Remove dirt, grime, and fingerprints from your windows.
Pressure Washer Safety Tips:
- Use appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) when using a pressure washer. This includes gloves, eye protection, and appropriate footwear.
- Keep the pressure washer’s nozzle at least 3 feet away from surfaces you’re cleaning.
- Use the pressure washer only on surfaces that can handle the high pressure.
- Read the pressure washer’s owner’s manual before using the machine.
- Never point the spray nozzle at yourself or others.
- Keep your hands and fingers away from the nozzle and trigger while the machine is running.
- Use only soap, detergent, or cleaners that are designed for use with pressure washers.
- Never use a pressure washer to clean a surface that is hot, such as a grill or stove top.
- Do not operate a pressure washer if you are under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Never use a pressure washer to remove lead paint.
- Disconnect the power to the pressure washer before performing any maintenance or repairs.
FAQ & Answer about Pressure Washer?
How Do You Winterize A Pressure Washer?
To winterize a pressure washer, you will need to drain the pump, hoses, and tank of all water. You will also need to add a pump saver to the pump, and add fresh oil to the engine.
Can You Pressure Wash Your House In The Winter?
Yes, you can pressure wash your house in the winter, but you will need to take some extra precautions. First, you will need to make sure that all of the hoses and pumps are drained and free of water. You will also need to add a pump saver to the pump, and add fresh oil to the engine.
Can You Leave A Pressure Washer Outside?
It is not recommended to leave a pressure washer outside, as this can damage the pump and engine. If you must leave it outside, be sure to cover it with a tarp or something similar to protect it from the elements.
What are the different types of pressure washers?
There are four main types of pressure washers: electric, gas, diesel, and ultra-high pressure. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages.
How do pressure washers work?
Pressure washers use high-pressure water to clean surfaces. The water is forced through a nozzle at a high speed, which creates a powerful jet of water.
How do I choose the right pressure washer for my needs?
The type of pressure washer you need depends on the job you need to do. For example, if you need to clean a large area, you will need a different type of pressure washer than if you only need to clean a small area.
What are the benefits of using a pressure washer?
Pressure washers are efficient and effective at cleaning surfaces. They can also save you time and money.
How do I use a pressure washer safely?
Pressure washers are safe to use as long as you follow the manufacturer’s instructions. You should also wear safety gear, such as gloves and goggles, when using a pressure washer.